Breaking News

Latest Comings & Goings & Announcement!

Here's the big news:  I am announcing my candidacy for Judge the 151st Civil District Court of Harris County, Texas for 2012!  Big news.  I know.  I will be scheduling organizational meetings soon.

I note with interest that the State Bar referendum on the new proposed ethics rules failed by a wide margin.  I can't ethically comment on the rules, really, but I did note this quote from Linda Eads of SMU from the Texas Lawyer "TexParte" blog article from last night by John Council:  “We will be one of the few states that doesn’t prohibit having sex directly with clients.”  As opposed to what, exactly?

In other Mike Engelhart news, I am proud to say that I am now Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law.  I took the test last October and got the results in January.  I was quite relieved.  I studied very very hard for that test.  Of course, nothing I studied was on the test.  Nevertheless, very proud of myself.

Finally, I wanted to bring your attention to the new FreeFax filing option in the 151st and several other courts.  It allows you to fax no-fee filings through from your desktop through a fax-server.  It's free and it's available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays only.  It's a limited alternative to e-filing, and it's free, and I know many of you have complained about the cost of e-filing in some instances.  Go to the District Clerk's website (LINK), log in (you must log in or you won't see the link/icon), and there'll be an icon for FreeFax filing.  Give it a try.  Also, there will be 1/2-hour seminars held by the District Clerk's office at the Harris County Civil Courthouse (17th Floor) on March 3, 2011 at 10 a.m., noon and 3 p.m.  I should be at those and will say a few brief words.


Political advertising paid for by Mike Engelhart, 4402 Holt Street, Bellaire, Texas 77401 in compliance with the voluntary limits of the Judicial Campaign Fairness Act.

No comments